Thursday 24 November 2016

Simchat Torah

Rabbi Michael Standfield - Chatan Torah 

For 50 years, if not more, I was involved in the selection of Chatanim and Kallot for Simchat Torah, in the various Synagogues that I served. Yet, in all that time, I was never offered the honour, or was ever considered for it. Perhaps the belief was that, as I was involved in leading the Service, I required no greater honour. Or it could have been that I was a paid employee and, therefore, didn’t deserve it.

It was, therefore, a great surprise and an even greater pleasure to be chosen to receive this great honour of Chatan Torah, especially as I haven’t been a member for as long as many other people. However, I do see it as recognition for the time I, happily, served the community, and my general support since becoming a member.

 I wouldn’t be a typical Jew if I didn’t complain (ha ha), so my big disappointment? Where was my flag with an apple stuck on it?

I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Services, and was delighted to have some of our family members in attendance at the evening service, and one of our grandsons helping me to overcome a ‘loss of voice’ problem.

My certificate commemorating the occasion has now joined my other awards and, eventually, it will be framed and hung on the wall together with my S’micha certificate.

I should like to conclude by extending my sincere thanks to Rabbi Yuval and the Officers of the Synagogue for affording me this honour. I shall continue to be a supportive member of the congregation and enjoy the warm and friendly atmosphere.


 Phil Zeligman - Chatan Bereshit 

Like so many things, it all began with a simple phone call…. In this case it was a call from Pearl who called to ask if I would like to be one of the Chatanim for Simchat Torah. I was stunned; surely there must be another congregant who is far more deserving of the honour? Nevertheless, I accepted!

Next up was to have a meeting with the Rabbi to determine if I would be Chatan Torah or Chatan Bereshit – I am Chatan Bereshit. Then the Rabbi drops the bombshell; there are no Junior Chatanim this year, so can I read both portions? I should have asked how much the Junior Chatan Bereshit would have to read but didn’t – I just said, “Yes, no problem”.

I received a copy of the Torah and Haftarah Readings for Simchat Torah and that is when I realised that I had 31 verses to read! Time to knuckle down and start learning my first Torah reading since my Confirmation (41 years ago). I knew that I needed help and that person was Gerry Ostermeyer. I could not have read my portion without his help and encouragement. Thank you, Gerry!

The next milestone was the rehearsal with the Rabbi, 3 days before Erev Simchat Torah! I am nervous and the read through does not go as well as I had hoped. Rabbi Yuval gives me the option of just reading the first half of the portion and then he would complete the remainder. Hmmm…. it would be easier but then I have said that I would do the whole portion. Thank you Rabbi Yuval for the offer but I think I will read it all.

Furious practicing over the next 3 days and then Erev Simchat Torah arrives. I sit as Rabbi Michael Standfield (who is Chatan Torah) impressively reads his portion and I’m getting more and more nervous. Rabbi Yuval calls me up and then the spotlight is on me. “Bereshit bara Elohim” and then I’m on autopilot and before I realise it, I’m saying “vayehi-erev vayehi-voker yom hashishi”.

Mazaltov to my fellow Chatan, Rabbi Michael Standfield. My thanks to Gerry, my wife Debi, Rabbi Yuval and everyone who came along to celebrate Simchat Torah. And of course, my thanks to Pearl - it all started with a simple phone call!

No comments:

Post a Comment